Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pizza Crust *low carb, gluten free*

Hey Ladies,
Yesterday,  I was baking up some of my gluten free, low carb crackers, yummm! When I thought of an a great way to use this recipe instead of breaking them up why not make a thin crust pizza. Hmm and it totally worked.  I know this recipe is low carb, gluten free and if you you don't care about that stuff it's ok you can just skip this one or try it out and save you the calories that are in traditional pizza crust.

First of all I make my crackers on a pizza stone so that they come out crispy.  I think that you could make these on a regular baking sheet too but pizza stone works best. The "crust" may get a little stuck so I loosen it from the stone after it is done cooking and then leave it to cool on there. I think if you use parchment paper this will cure this issue though but since I didn't have any I just made it work.

Thin Curst Pizza Crust Recipe
3 TBSP Coconut Flour
1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Italian spice
1/8 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
2 TBSP unsalted butter (straight from the fridge)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup cold water

Preheat Oven to 400*F
In a medium bowl combine coconut flour, celtic sea salt, garlic powder, Italian spice, and baking powder. Mix until combined. Grate in butter and mix with fingers until crumbly.  Add cheese and water until dough forms. I use a food processor but if you do not have one then you can use your hands it works just the same.  Form the mixture into a ball and place between 2 sprayed pieces of parchment paper, I spray mine with olive oil cooking spray. Remove the top piece of parchment paper if using a baking sheet and both pieces of parchment if you are using a pizza stone.  You can brush an egg wash over top for even browning, but I didn't. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until crust has set.  Let cool on pizza stone or baking sheet. If you are using a stone I suggest loosening the edges before the crust cools because it may get a little stuck.

After crust has cooled a little add pizza sauce (I make my own), cheese, and your favorite toppings. Then cut into squares and enjoy.  This is not a big pizza it is probably enough for 2 people maybe 1 really hungry one.  IF you want a bigger pizza just double the recipe. I really really like this crust out of all the ones I have tried for low carb, gluten free crust.

Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think.

Nutritional Info will vary depending on what you top your pizza with.
Nutritional Info for 1 serving (1/2 the pizza CRUST)
Cal: 116 Fat: 9.2 Carb: 4.2 Fiber:2.2 Protein: 4.3

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this. I think lll use regular sea salt though, Celtic is $$$$ what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regular salt is fine too! :) this is seriously my favorite crust. I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete