Monday, January 21, 2013

Active Weekends + French Fry Alternative


As I have been trying to keep more active weekends I have noticed that others seem to be doing the same. I notice more people working out, walking, running, and generally seem more active than I did even a year ago. I hope this is a sign that the people of the future plan on taking better care of themselves. I hope that we have had enough information about obesity that we are now changing the statistics. Additionally, when I go out to eat I also see more people eating healthier, subbing out fries for a vegetable or salad.
I feel like just because you are changing the way you eat doesn't mean you are confined to eating at home. We eat out on the weekends and I can pretty much low carb any restaurant so that it fits my plan. I feel like restaurant portions are always huge so when my meal arrives I usually cut everything in half and box up the second half for the next days lunch. Even though my meal may be "healthy" I don't want to stuff myself. What do you do to make your meals out more healthy?


Crispy Green Beans (Gluten Free, Low Carb) 
Ingredients: 
Peanut Oil (enough to cover the bottom of sauce pan) or cooking oil of choice
2 cups green beans (trimmed) 
3/4 cup almond flour 
1/4 cup flax meal 
1 TBS Cajun Seasoning or 1/2 tsp salt 1/2tsp pepper
1-2 eggs or 1/4th cup liquid egg substitute 

Directions:
Method 1: 
Heat a heavy bottomed sauce pan on medium-medium high heat (don't leave unattended). 
On a plate combine almond flour, flax meal, and cajun seasoning. On a second plate crack 1-2 eggs or pour egg substitute and combine with a fork.  Dip trimmed green beans in egg mixture and then into the almond flour mixture coating the green beans evenly.  Carefully place green beans into hot peanut oil and pan fry until golden brown.  Let green beans drain on paper towel until ready to eat. 

Method 2: 
Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. On a plate comine almond flour, flax meal, and cajun seasoning.  On second plate crack 1-2 eggs or pour liquid egg substitue and combine with fork.  Dip trimmed green beans in egg then into the almond flour mixture until evenly coated.  Place on prepared baking sheet and spray with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray place in oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.  Allow green beans to cool a little before eating. Dip in Ketchup or other sauce. 

I have given you 2 methods to cook these because my plan allows for pan frying in peanut oil while yours may not. Please try these out and let me know what you think, I make these quite often and even my kiddo will eat them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment